Saturday, September 19, 2009

An evening of tortillas and friends

For dinner last night we tried a new food: tortillas {I will share the recipe later.} Then my friend Kylie came over to my house. We shared and threw toys, and raced around the room. We even took turns going down my slide. She is lots of fun to play with.
















Now that it's later, here is mama's tortilla recipe...

{Homemade Tortillas}
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 egg
1 1/2 cup cold water

Combine all of the ingredients, and mix until smooth.












Scoop or spoon out some of the batter onto a moderately hot griddle or pan.
{We use an old formula scoop for the scooping!}












After a couple of minutes, the batter will start bubbling and changing to a darker color. That means it's ready to be flipped over. Flip it over and let it cook for another minute or two, and it's done!












Depending on the size of the tortillas, this should make 5-10. To serve mine, mama likes to spread avacado puree on the tortilla and put chicken and cheese on. Then she melts the cheese and cuts it up. Yummy!


4 comments:

Heather said...

Kudos to you for making your own tortillas! I'm inpatient enough waiting for pancakes to cook for my crew (and that's even on my electric griddle!); I can't imagine having to make enough tortillas for us all. :) I bet they were good, though!

Gabe said...

Thanks! They're basically like making pancakes, and they were much better than the store bought kind. They make good leftovers too :)

bodoba said...

Oooh yummy tortillas! That slide looks like fun!

Gabe said...

Thanks! It is a lot of fun. We've logged hundreds of hours of sliding on it.

Post a Comment

 
Made by Lena