Saturday, September 12, 2009

Carrot 'n' Yogurt Squares

For breakfast this morning, I had a carrot 'n' yogurt square. It was sooo super yummy that I had to tell you all how you can make your own. It's one of mama's many recipes to use the yogurt we make. Next week we'll learn how to make the yogurt!

You can put frosting on them, but we don't because I'm not allowed to have that much sugar. We eat them all by themselves for breakfast.

{Carrot 'n' Yogurt Squares}
1 cup oil {or applesauce}
1 cup plain yogurt {we used soy!}
2 eggs {or egg substitute}
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup honey
1 cup raisins {optional}

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 13 x 9 inch pan. When mama does this, she either sprays it with oil, or she brushes oil or butter on the pan. After you make the pan greasy, set it aside to use later.










Now get a big bowl. Combine honey, oil, yogurt and eggs in it, and beat them well. Then put flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in the liquid. Stir it well.











If you haven't already, you need to grate your carrots and chop your nuts. Mama uses almonds that have been through the blender when she makes these. We also grate our own carrots because it costs less money and has fewer preservatives {whatever that means!}
















Then stir them {and the optional raisins!} in. Mix well again.











Now you get to finally use the pan from the beginning step. Pour your batter into the pan, and put it in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes.











Then you're done! If you want to add frosting, let it cool first.

6 comments:

Grandma said...

Ymmmm. I wish your mama would come to my house and fix this for me. Maybe Grandpa will make it for me. Yummmmmmmy. Lovya

Gabe said...

If you come here, you can have some of mine. Or we'll make some special for you :)

{B} said...

I think you told me before...but does Gabe have allergies?

Gabe said...

No, we're just meanies. We don't let him have yummy things that are bad for him. Although, we eat them more than we should ;)

{B} said...

Ha ha ha, I try to make healthy things for my littles but they won't eat them. I think it's great to start them early! That way they aren't used to such sugary things and they learn to eat healthy early on. I, like you believe there is a time for treats! I mean, the other day alone I had like 2 lbs of cotton candy....no mas!

Gabe said...

That's what we're hoping. And he gets all kinds of treats at daycare, like chocolate cake. Mmmmm....

I am also a fan of cotton candy (and anything sugary). And if Gabe doesn't eat it, I get his share too! Hooray for me!!

Post a Comment

 
Made by Lena